First Aid Refreshers
Many candidates need to have keep themselves certified either through workplace policy or through school policy. Certain first aid and CPR providers have made it easier for candidates that have previously taken a course and need to maintain certification. Refresher courses course cheaper and shorter than the original non renewal courses. The following providers have first aid refresher courses available for candidates that want to renew certification:
- St Mark James Training
- The Lifesaving Society (formerly known as the Royal Lifesaving Society)
Other providers, such as St. Johns Ambulance, do not have first aid renewal courses.
Refresher Course Certification:
When students complete the refresher course they will receive a certificate that is identical in value to that of the award that is received when completing a original / non-renewal course. The certificate is valid for 3 years and may meet government legislation standards. Candidates will receive either a wallet card certificate or a wall mount certificate. Both are of equal value and, with some training partners, candidates can opt to have both awards.
Available Refresher Courses:
Not all first aid and CPR courses are available for renewal. The following certifications’ can be renewed by the St Mark James or Lifesaving Society:
- Standard first aid and CPR level “C”
- Standard first aid and health care provider CPR (CPR “HCP”)
- Emergency first aid and CPR level “C”
- Emergency first aid and CPR level “A”
- Only CPR level “C”
- Only health care provider CPR / CPR “HCP”
All courses include certification and training in the use of automated external defibrillators (AED’s). St Mark James advertises AED certification on its certification awards.
Prerequisites for First Aid and / or CPR Refreshers:
In order to be eligible for a renewal course candidates must meet the following prerequisites:
- Students must have completed a full course or a renewal course of the same, or higher level, within the past 3 years.
- Students must have completed a full course or a renewal course with a credible provider. Credible providers include: St. Johns Ambulance, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, Lifesaving Society and St Mark James.
- Students must have completed the previous course within Canada. Certificates are nationally recognized but not internationally.
If students do not meet all of these prerequisites then they are not eligible for a renewal course with the St Mark James or Lifesaving Society.
Please note that re-certification requirements vary by province. Check your local provider to ensure that you meet the requirements for re-certifications in your area.
Registrations and Location:
To register for a refresher course near you select your location from the selection on the menu or side menu bar. The links will direct you to a St Mark James provider near you that offers refresher courses. Registration can be completed through a simple, easy and secure on-line system.
Refresher Course Length:
Renewal courses take anywhere from 3 to 10 hours to complete. Course length depends on course type, provider, training partner and ultimately the instructor of the course.