Stomach ache after eating eggs
Eggs are items usually used for breakfast whether it is cooked as scrambled egg, omelet, poached or boiled eggs. Eggs are highly delicious and good for the health since they are a rich source of protein and other nutrients. This food is so popular that they are used by many vegetarians, but some individuals experience a stomach ache after eating eggs. The reason for this is that they have allergy to the protein found in eggs. The allergies to egg can be caused by the yolk or white of an egg.
In any type of food allergy, the immune system in the body perceives the substance as dangerous and reacts by producing a substance which is known as histamine. This is the chemical responsible for triggering the distinctive allergy symptoms.
Symptoms of egg allergy typically occurs a few minutes or hours after eggs or foods that contains eggs were consumed and a reaction can range from mild to severe such as rashes in skin, nasal congestion, hives and vomiting or digestive issues. Rarely, an egg allergy can cause anaphylaxis.
Symptoms of egg allergy
- Digestive symptoms such as cramps, vomiting and nausea
- Inflammation of the skin or hives
- Symptoms of asthma such as wheezing, tightness of the chest, shortness of breath and coughing.
Causes of stomach ache after eating eggs
There are many gastrointestinal problems along with stomach ache that can manifest such as bloating, diarrhea and vomiting. A reaction can also affect the mouth and the throat with tingling sensation. Sometimes, the stomach ache can be accompanied by itching and hives.
Salmonella bacteria can also cause gastric problems after eating eggs. Sometimes these salmonella bacteria are found on the outer shell of the egg and if it comes in contact with the egg yolk or white when breaking an egg, there is a high risk for a stomach ache and other digestive symptoms. Eating raw eggs increases the risk of salmonella infection since it causes gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea and fever.
Treatment and home remedies for stomach ache after eating eggs
- Avoid eating solid foods when suffering from stomach pain.
- Once the pain is minimized, begin taking liquids such as rice water, apple juice, coconut water, tomato soup. It is vital to avoid eating any items that might contain eggs.
- Take a rest by sitting on a chair and divert the attention to something pleasant. This helps minimize mild to moderate pain in the stomach.
- Apply a warm compress on the abdomen in order to help minimize the pain in the stomach or place a hot water bag or glass bottle that contains hot water on the stomach in order to lessen the pain.
- The individual should relax and take some deep breaths.
In case the stomach ache persists or seems to worsen over time despite the home remedies given, it is best to seek medical help for further assessment and treatment of the condition.