How to treat a sinus headache
A sinus headache is a condition in which the membrane that lines the sinusitis is swelling and inflamed. A pressure can be felt around the eyes, cheeks and the forehead and there is throbbing in the head.
Symptoms of sinus headache
- A nasal discharge that is yellow-green in color or blood-tinged
- There is pain, pressure and fullness can be felt in the cheeks, brow or forehead
- There is pain that becomes worse when bending or lying down
- A stuffy nose and sore throat
- Fever and fatigue
- An achy feeling in the upper teeth
- A decreased ability on smell and taste
A person is at a high risk of developing a sinus headache if he/she is allergic to dust, mold or pollen, has a weak immune system, he/she has polyps or nasal growths, suffering from asthma, he/she is exposed to pollutants like airborne chemicals and irritants like cigarette smoke and having a condition that affects the movement of the mucus within the respiratory system such as cystic fibrosis.
Sinus headaches if left untreated can cause infection of the sinus to grind down through the bony walls of the sinus and infect the adjacent structure of the face and there are two areas that the infection of sinus can spread such as:
- The orbit or eye socket will cause pain, swelling as well as redness of the eyelid and skin that surrounds the orbit, pain with any movement of the eye and there is problem with the vision.
- The blood vessels which are found near the sinus can become inflamed and develop blood clots. Cavernous sinus thrombosis which is the swelling and thickening of the cavernous sinus.
Treatment and home remedies
- Take pain medications like ibuprofen in order to minimize pain and pressure caused by sinus headaches. If you want to learn more pain management measures, click here.
- Run the shower as hot as tolerated and before getting into the shower, allow the steam to build up inside the bathroom and then stand under the hot shower until all the steam has disappeared.
- Rub menthol cream on the temples in order to relieve the headache caused by the sinus.
- Apply hot compress over the forehead while lying down in bed at least 30 minutes. This method will give relief to the pressure of sinus headache.
Other remedies for sinus headache
- Probiotics which are friendly bacteria that are usually present in yogurt and certain foods can also help relieve the sinus headaches.
- Bromelain is basically an enzyme that is found in pineapples helps in reducing the inflammation and swelling as well as minimizing the severity of the symptoms of sinus headaches.
- Quercetin which is a plant pigment that gives colors to fruits and vegetables. It prohibits the production histamine which causes symptoms of allergy that trigger the sinus headaches.