Knee bursitis is the inflammation of a bursa that is found near the joint of the knee. A bursa is small sac that is packed with fluid that helps reduce the friction and protect the pressure points amidst the bones, tendons and muscles close to the joints. Each knee has 11 bursae and any of these bursae can be inflamed. It is important to note that knee bursitis usually happens on the kneecap or in the inner side of the knee below the joint. Bursitis of the knee causes pain and there is limited mobility of the affected knee.
- The affected knee is swollen along with tenderness, warmth and redness of the area
- The pain is severe especially when kneeling
- The knee becomes stiff and there is pain when walking.
- Limited range of motion
- If experiencing fever with pain and swelling, seek medical help immediately.
- A direct blow to the knee
- Frequent and sustained pressure placed on the knee such as kneeling
- Bacterial infection of the bursa
- Complications due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid and gout in the knee
- Rest the affected knee. Avoid performing activities that cause knee bursitis and movements that can make the condition worse.
- Apply an ice pack on the affected knee at least 20-30 minutes at a time several times every day until pain is minimized and the knee is not warm when touched. Apply an ice pack immediately after performing any activities
- Wrap the affected knee using a compressive wrap or knee sleeve in order to help lessen the swelling.
- When sleeping, elevate the knees by propping up the legs in couple of pillows to lessen swelling in the knee.
- Wear a knee pad or knee brace to help in minimizing the swelling and stabilizing the joint. Wearing knee pad helps in minimizing the wear and tear on the knee.
- Apply chamomile oil to the affected knee. Chamomile oil has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in treating joint pain. Apply a few drops of oil on the knee and the oil will soak to the tissues of the skin and helps lessen the symptoms.
- Take turmeric supplement at least two capsules every day preferably together with a meal. Turmeric has natural antibiotic properties and helps in reducing inflammation and lessens the pain.
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. Mix them well and drink this mixture at least once every day until pain is lessened.
- Make a poultice using fresh ginger and apply it on the affected area of the knee also lessens the pain.
- Wear knee pads to help cushion the knees when playing sports that places the knees at high risk.
- If the knees are used for extended for long periods of time, take a break to stretch the legs and rest the knees.
- Avoid excessive or repetitive bending of the knees such as squatting since it increases the force that is placed on the joints of the knee.