Sleep talking or “somnliloquy” is a sleep condition that causes talking while asleep. Sleep talking usually varies on subject and demonstration that ranges from mumbling, nonsense words, consistent narratives and complicated words. Talking while sleeping can be spontaneous, but it can be induced by another person who talks with them while asleep. The language that they are talking sounds different from the voice when they are awake. Anyone can experience sleep talking and this is common among males and children.
- Sleep talking can be due to dreaming
- Mental disorder
- Sleep talking can be caused by consumption of alcohol and drugs
- Sleep deprivation
- Emotional stress
- Conditions such as sleep apnea and REM behavioral disorder
- Sometimes, sleep talking can be caused by nocturnal seizures
- Abuse by peer
- Take plenty of rest even at day time helps minimize sleep talking at night.
- Maintain a regular sleeping schedule to lessen occurrence of sleep talking. Set a time when sleeping at night and waking up in the morning every day. Get plenty of sleep every day to help in minimizing the episodes of talking during sleep.
- Avoid eating heavy meals and drinking alcohol and drinks with caffeine before going to bed at night to help avoid any interruption during sleeping.
- If the individual is suffering from loneliness, talk with friends and relatives to help eliminate the issue which sometimes result to sleep talking.
- Sometimes, it can be caused by being too stressed out. The individual should take a warm bath or read books or magazines to help in relaxing the body and prevents sleep talking during sleep.
- Perform regular exercises every day to help promote proper circulation of blood in the area. Take short walks or perform yoga can greatly help with the condition.
- If sleep talking becomes severe, seek medical help immediately.
- Avoid horror movies before going to bed to prevent seeing horrible images in the mind. Watch romantic or funny movies that do result in traumatic images.
- When going to bed, play relaxing music that helps a person fall asleep. Just keep playing the music while sleeping. Soft music helps minimize sleep talking.
- Take the prescribed magnesium and calcium supplements that helps with sleep disorders.
- Take the prescribed medications like melatonin that helps in inducing sleep in a natural way. It is a hormone that helps regulate sleep.
- Perform yoga or meditation before going to bed. Perform stretching in bed with eyes closed for at least 10 minutes and count the breaths.
- Take the prescribed L-theanine which is an amino acid from green tea. It helps the affected person stay alert during day time and induces sleep during night time.