You Are Here: Home » Breathing Emergencies » Ways of treating black mold poisoning

Ways of treating black mold poisoning

Black mold is toxic for humans. Spores of black mold and other types of mold easily spread. Once black mold enters the house, they settle in moist and damp areas and start to grow.

They are usually found in the walls, water soaked wood, floor or ceiling tiles, cardboard and wall paneling. Black mold can cause a serious health condition especially among people whose immune systems are weak, suffering from HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, bronchitis and other respiratory conditions.

Symptoms of black mold poisoning


Prolonged exposure can cause severe reactions such as anaphylaxis, allergies, unexplained fever and problems with balance, depression and anxiety.

  • Stuffy or runny nose
  • Coughing or wheezing
  • Sinus infection
  • Nausea or bowel problems
  • Nasal congestion
  • Headache
  • Red eyes
  • Skin rashes or hives
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Dizziness
  • Bleeding in the lungs and irregularities in the blood pressure when it becomes severe
  • Poor appetite
  • Swallowing difficulties
  • Abdominal pain and acid reflux
  • Prolonged exposure can cause severe reactions such as anaphylaxis, allergies, unexplained fever and problems with balance, depression and anxiety.
  • Body and muscle pain and physical weakness if it affects the connective tissue


  • Take the prescribed over-the-counter antihistamine allergy medication for relief of runny nose, sneezing and itchiness of the eyes. Another alternative is using the prescribed nasal spray to lessen the symptoms of black mold poisoning. If asthma becomes severe due to black mold poisoning, use the prescribed inhaled oral corticosteroid to lessen the chronic symptoms.
  • Take the prescribed nasal corticosteroid to lessen congestion.
  • Take the prescribed antifungal medication since it eliminates any fungi or mold present in the body.
  • Clean surfaces contaminated by mold spores using bleach solution. Throw away infested carpeting, wallpaper, upholstery and other habitats of black mold.
  • Use ventilation or humidity control devices to have a 40%-60% indoor humidity and prevent the growth of black mold.


  • Call professional pest control to eliminate toxic black mold inside the house. They have the right equipment to safely remove damaged areas of the house such as walls, ceilings or tiles without further exposure to the spores from the mold.
  • Fix the filtration system, repair any leaks on the roof and eliminate the source of humidity or water that cause problems with black mold infestation.
  • People suffering from respiratory conditions such as asthma, allergies or those who have weak immune systems should avoid exposure to black mold clean up. Wear an N-95 respirator and gloves to minimize contact with black mold and cleaning solution with the skin. N-95 respirator is a protective device that is closely fitted on the face and filters airborne particles.
  • Pour 3% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray it on the moldy areas of the house until they are totally soaked. Let it remain in the area for at least 10 minutes before scrubbing the area thoroughly. After brushing, wipe the area using hydrogen peroxide and let the area dry.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to top